1. Cold sores are caused by a virus - specifically, the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV). HSV type 1 will usually affect areas above the waist, more precisely on the face and around the mouth. Type 2 usually hits below the waist and is generally considered a sexually transmitted disease. Symptoms of HSV type 1 can include fever, sore throat and swollen glands, especially at the start of infection. The most recognizable symptom, of course, is the cold sore itself. Here are some characteristics of these sores - which some infected people are lucky enough to never get:
2. They are contagious - so pay attention when you’re necking! HSV type 1 can be spread through contact with infected liquid, and so is often passed through contact with saliva, sharing of utensils or kissing. The virus is most contagious during times of active outbreak, but can potentially be spread even when the virus is dormant.
3. Cold sores are NOT canker sores - even though the two share some of the same treatment options. Canker sores, unlike cold sores, will NOT appear on the outside of your mouth, and don’t blister in the same way. Check out our article on canker sores for more info!
4. There is no cure - sadly, once you’ve got it, you’ve got it. There is no known cure for HSV. This makes prevention especially important!
5. Speaking of, there are things you can do to prevent and treat breakouts!
First and foremost, avoid interaction with infected fluids! This includes avoiding the sharing of utensils and food with anyone you know to be infected. If you do contract the virus, there are measures you can take to lessen the severity and frequency of breakouts, including:
Start your journey with Strobel Dentistry in Chicago
If driving, we validate for a discounted parking rate at the following location: Interpark: 20 E. Randolph is located at the intersection of Wabash and Randolph.
We are proud to offer exceptionally experienced, compassionate, and comprehensive Chicago dental care to our patients. Contact us today or schedule an appointment online to take the first step toward your best experience and results.