KoR Whitening – How it Works and Who it’s For
KoR Whitening - How it Works and Who it's For
We recently added a truly comprehensive whitening option to our menu, and we’re pretty stoked. Let’s take a look at what this new system can do
How does whitening work?
Every whitening product uses the same basic science to achieve results. Tooth discoloration is caused by large pigment and stain molecules that become trapped inside the tooth’s structure: the larger the molecules, the darker the teeth appear.
All bleaching gels break down to hydrogen peroxide in the end, which in turn breaks down into free radicals that attach to and lift stains from the teeth.
So what makes KöR Whitening different?
- Constant Refrigeration - the nature of bleaching chemicals is to break down; that’s what makes them effective in the first place! But it also means that, from the moment they are created in a factory, they start to lose potency at room temperature. By refrigerating their product from the moment of manufacture until they’re delivered to the dental practice door, KöR essentially stops this degradation, guaranteeing their gel stays at its absolute highest concentration.
- KöR-Seal™ Trays - typical bleach delivery systems are only effective for roughly 25-35 minutes. This is due to the nature of saliva, which contains powerful antioxidants that will quickly destroy peroxide on contact. KöR combats this common effect by making custom trays that are fit precisely, sealing out saliva and sulcular fluid. With these trays, you can get 6-10 hours of effective, overnight whitening as opposed to the traditional half hour.
- Comprehensive Program - KöR involves two weeks of overnight whitening at home, an intensive in-office session, and a monthly maintenance program thereafter. This ensures a more permanent white by fully flooding the stains with bleaching agents and restores teeth to their youthful ability to whiten easily.
For whom do we recommend KöR Whitening?
This whitening program is not for the casual user - it definitely requires a commitment! Every small step matters in this process, so compliance is key. We think KöR’s program is especially well suited to the following cases:
- Tetracycline stains
- Tough whitening cases for which other methods of whitening have been unsuccessful
- Patients who desire ultra-ultra white teeth
If you think KöR might be right for you, set up a consultation today!
​Photos credit of KOR website and used with their permission.